Divorce and Seperation

We offer a quick and efficient fixed-fee divorce service from £250 + VAT
We also handle the full range of ancillary issues in connection with divorce and can offer competitive estimates to include.

  • Financial Settlements

  • Mediation

  • Collaborative Law

  • Advocacy (Representing you in court)

  • Advice and assistance as to the rights of unmarried couples

  • Contact and residence

  • Non-molestation and occupation orders

  • Obtaining parental responsibility

  • Other family matters including judicial separation, nullity and dissolution of civil partnerships.

  • Wills

  • Buying, selling and transferring property.

We go the extra mile to make an emotionally difficult time as convenient, affordable and easy as possible.


Custody of Children

When parents separate, the effect on the children can be far reaching. Whether the parents are married or not, there are key issues that need to be resolved with regard to the future arrangements for children. Whatever the reasons for the breakdown of the relationship, it is important that the children witness their parents working together and agreeing on arrangements for the future.

An independent mediator will try to help parents reach an agreement that is in the best interests of their children. At Ross Coates Solicitors we assist in reaching this agreement and can, where necessary, refer clients to a mediation service.

If parents are unable to reach agreement about the future arrangements for their children, the Court can be asked to make Orders under the Children Act 1989. The Court can be asked to make any of the following:

  • A Residence Order – This is an Order to determine where and with whom a child should live.

  • A Contact Order – This is an Order directed at the parent with whom the child resides which specifies that he/she should make the child available for contact with the other parent.

  • A Specific Issue Order – This is an Order to decide on a specific matter relating to the child.

For further information, please contact us 01473 621800


Financial Settlements

When two parties separate, whether they have been cohabiting, are married, or in a civil partnership, it is necessary to deal with the financial assets that tie them together. Often there will be the home where they lived which is in one or both of their names. There may be a business, pensions, a holiday home or other investment property, and potentially the need for continued assistance with income to meet the mortgage, bills etc. Walking away from a relationship does not make these things disappear.

It is important that advice is obtained to separate and deal with all aspects so that a fair settlement can be obtained. We have a great deal of experience in dealing with such matters and are very aware that this can be a very emotional and upsetting time.

Many people are worried about the cost of instructing solicitors to deal with such matters but the potential cost of not dealing with them can be much greater. Divorce does not automatically mean that a married couple are no longer financially “tied” to each other.

For example, if one party inherits after a divorce or wins the lottery, unless a “Clean Break” Order has been made, the other party can make a claim against that inheritance even many years later. Furthermore, if one party dies, the other party can still make a claim against their estate. It is for this reason that it is important not only to come to an agreement as to finances on divorce but also to ensure that a Court Order is obtained. If obtained by consent, neither party has to attend the Court.

If parties do not want to divorce immediately, a Deed of Separation should be drawn up to record any agreement they have made.

Our specialists have extensive experience in relation to all financial and property matters and we can assist with all issues surrounding divorce and separation, including children disputes, obtaining parental responsibility, domestic violence, wills, buying, selling and transferring property.

If we can be of assistance please simply call us on 01473 621800.


Change of Name

Occasionally, people wish to change their name. You are legally allowed to call yourself anything provided that you do so without criminal intent (e.g. intent to deceive). However, your ID would then not be the same as the name you are using on a day-to-day basis, which can cause considerable confusion and potentially assumption of criminal intent if you are required to produce your ID.

We can produce a legal document stating that your name has changed, which can be used to have your bank accounts and government documentation such as passports, etc., changed formally and legally to the name you desire. We can also retain an electronic copy on our system so that we can confirm this should proof be required in the future.

We charge a fixed price of £75 for this service. If you would like to take advantage of this offer simply contact us on 01473 621800